Come to watch or to participate in Parkpalooza – 2nd Annual Pontiac Cardboard Boat Regatta to be held on Saturday, July 26, 2014 at 3:00 p.m on the Vermillion River in the Play Park.
To register or learn more about this, please call 815-844-6818 or go on line to the City’s website at www.pontiac.org.
Parkpalooza – 2nd Annual Pontiac Cardboard Boat Regatta
Date: Saturday, July 26, 2014
Check In: 2:00 p.m.
First Race: 3:00 p.m.
Registration Deadline: Saturday, July 19, 2014
Entry Fee: $25.00 per craft
Judges decide on the interpretation of the rules.
Boat Construction Rules:
Only the following materials may be used for construction of the boat.
* Cardboard. Pre-treated cardboard such as waxed cardboard is not allowed.
* Duct tape (or equivalent: i.e. Gorilla tape)
* Liquid Nails (or equivalent).
* Latex paint.
The crew compartment cannot be enclosed so as to interfere with escape.
Each boat must carry a closed gallon plastic jug (or PFD) with 15′ rope tether firmly secured to the vessel. This is for use in locating and retrieving any sunken remains.
Design is left to builder(s). Let your imagination take over. There is no size limit or shape requirements (other that those listed) for the water craft. Just keep in mind the location of the race.
Decorations and participant costumes are allowed and encouraged provided they are not used as a structural or floatation elements.
* All participants must sign a waiver.
* Every crew member must wear a personal floatation devise (PFD). These must be supplied by participants.
* Paddles are allowed. Participants must supply their own paddles.
* No sails, mechanized means of propulsion is allowed.
* There is a limit of TEN (10) people per water craft.
* You CANNOT race without the proper signatures on the entry form.
* The crew must be in/on the craft at the start and finish of the race.
* No pets can occupy a boat during competition.
* Throwing water on another boat is reason for disqualification, unless said water comes from the incidental splash of a paddle.
* Sunken or discarded boats must be disposed of in the designated trash receptacle.
* This is a fun event!!! Any behavior that is deemed to be inappropriate or detrimental to the event or other participants will result in team disqualification.
* 1st Place will be the team with the fastest time which can survive all the heats/races.
* The Spirit Award will be awarded by judges choose the most spirited team.
* The Titanic Award will be given to the team of the boat that sinks in the most spectacular fashion.